Padawan University of Programming
March 29, 2024, 05:17:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Login Register  

Welcome word

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome word  (Read 91 times)
RosimInc
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:12:49 pm »

First of all, welcome to PUP. I will be your headmaster.

May you have no knowledge at all about programming or may you be an expert, I do hope this place will bring you what you seek.

This forum was mainly created as a way for me to teach programming to people close to me. Having all the lessons and exercises in one place, you know? But as I thought about it and discussed with friends, I realized that the possibility of me sharing this knowledge with anyone interested was more thrilling and profitable. I honestly don't expect this community to exceed 5, 10 members.

Just bear in mind that my goal is not to make you all professional developers, for I myself am not one yet. I simply wish to help people grasp the simple concepts to understand that with achievable effort they can access this world that seems so complex from the outside.

When I started my studies in software development, people were asking me to fix their computer, remove their viruses, etc. And they're disappointed when I tell them I can't. The boundary between programming and using programs has not been made clear for most people, and I think this website can address that.

Keep in mind that learning programming is just like learning a new language. Explaining the term of programming languages. It is not something that can be done overnight, and it requires patience, thinking and will. We were 70 students entering the Computer Science department four years ago. Within the first year, half of us left the program. 15 of us made it to the end of the three years. Liking video games does not make you a programmer. Knowing how to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint does not either.

I don't want to discourage people. As soon as you really want to program, you can program. And with programming comes power. Power to reduce your efforts. Power to make things the way you want them. Power to build things with little to no cost. Something that cannot be said from someone working on robots with specific parts shipped from different continents.

I believe that we need a driving motive in order to program. Think of something you would like to achieve. Something simple first. Text-based, that doesn't require any special user interface. A hangman game, why not? If you practice everyday, from void you can get the knowledge required to build such a game very quickly. Keep in mind your goal, and we'll help you reach it.

Sorry for these boring words from the headmaster, I really hope you will enjoy your time spent here with us.

-RosimInc
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: